Monday, September 19, 2011

RTV # 38 - Remembering to Play (with Vince Gowmon)

A Year of Raising theVillage Week 38 - Remembering to Play

... an interview with Vince Gowmon - player, facilitator, coach extraordinaire!

Remembering to PlayEvents offer workshops that combine unique and fun experiential activities with open discussions and rich group learning – we mean really rich, wake you up learning. We took part in one of the PLAY workshops and were smitten with the soulful facilitated process and the skill of the person holding a respectful and fun space in the workshop room.
Who is the playful leader behind these inspired workshops? Meet Vince Gowmon and get a special peek into the spirit of the Play process...

Vince Gowmon, is the founder of Remembering to Play Events.  All his life he has loved playing, and since 1998, he has lived his other passion of supporting others to create their life with joy and purpose.  Remembering to Play Events is his opportunity to combine the two, giving people a playground to discover their authentic Self and laugh along the way!
We asked Vince to take us behind the scenes of his special workshops...
What is at the core of Remembering to Play?

The essence of Remembering to Playis remembering your spirit. It is taking the risk to be authentic (it can be risky to shed your fears and inhibitions). Many of us have SAS (serious adult syndrome) – we take ourselves and life so seriously that we forget the joy in the lighter side of play. Also at the heart of Remembering to Play is remembering what it means to be a child and connecting to the wisdom of a child-like heart. Children are present, engaged, intuitive, spontaneous, honest, expressive of a wide range of emotions without extra thought as to whether the emotion if permissible. Children are less attached to one certain way of being and are willing to be open and try new things.


When facilitating groups, how do you know when a group process is landing with people?

·      Take time to read the group. If people are not ready for a certain activity or process that I have designed, I will huck out the outline.
·      There is a dance between my prepared agenda and the participant’s needs and agenda. I’ve learned to limit the amount of content in my agenda – I leave space open for what arises within the group.
·      Another approach is to be curious around any feelings. I will name it (i.e. There seems to be some resistance here. What’s that about? What do we need more of? Less of?).
·      Ask – what does the group want?

How do you determine and design group activities that connect with people? What advice do you have for group facilitators and leaders who are looking for process inspiration?

I look at a workshop like a journey. First, meet people where they are – meet and honour their current reality. Secondly, layer activities that add a slow stretch to that reality. For example, I might not include movement and music in the first part of the workshop as that might be a large stretch.  Thirdly, I look to see that the foundational skill sets and values of Remembering to Playare present in the workshop activities. For example, one of the values is to “Be Present”, so I will choose activities that reflect “Being Present”.

Designing workshops is like creating stepping stones across a river. I could stand on one end of the water and point to the other side while people stand at the edge OR we can slowly lay out different sized stepping stones as the learning and growing unfolds. We can co-create, chisel, space out the steps and consider how strong the current is.  People will cross to the other side in their own way and contribute every step of the way.

Creativity is a big part of my process. For me, creativity is opening up to something bigger than self. It is new ideas and possibilities combined with education. I balance ideas and structures with things people can hold onto.

What personally brings you a “sense of community”?

·      People close by that I connect with on a spontaneous level while being authentic and real.
·      A sense of community comes with safety, nearby nature, knowing the people in my neighbourhood and delighting in running into them on the street.
·      I look at the harmony of a community and for me this comes with intimate connection between people, intimate connection within infrastructures, and intimate connection between products and intentions of the stores and services within my community. My values are embodied by what surrounds me.

 How can people who are working together in communities with a focus on the early years relate to the workshops and services you offer?

Many early childhood educators relate to the co-created learning principles of Remembering to Play. We co-create in a workshop just like an early childhood educator might co-create with children in a Reggio Emilia approach. People working in the early years love children and they love play. On some level people may be called to their work as a part of their own healing and growth – Remembering to Playadds to this healing and growth.

What currently has you jazzed up in your work? What is your focus moving forward?

I am expanding, reaching and teaching into further parts of Canada. I would love to expand into Europe and engage in more public workshops.

My focus moving forward is to refine, add to and deepen what I am learning about PLAY. I am the #1 student of Remembering to Play– it is my own path of healing and growth. I am teaching what I need to learn and I am good at it! I am fascinated by how much play is not just an activity but a way of living, being and co-creating. My workshops are about not working so seriously hard, they are about subverting the norms and shaking people out of monotony and routines. It’s a place where PLAY TRUMPS WORK!

To experience the spirit of PLAY with your group - contact Vince at:
  Vince Gowmon, CPCC, BBA
Certified Professional Co-Active Coach
Remembering to Play Events
http://www.rememberingtoplay.com
Off:  604-566-0868  Cell:  778-990-0868  Fax:  604-566-3880

2 comments:

  1. My name is Tracey Smythe and I am a Play Facilitator from a small community Phillip Island in Victoria, Australia. I follow Vince as my ideology is aligned with his and I couldn't believe it when his facebook update led to here. I am looking forward to reading over your past entries. I constantly use play techniques to hopefully create awareness from within that you can choose happiness and joy if you can let go of the fears and pre written scripts. In this new era and accessibility I believe interdependency will save humans from themselves. Please refer to my site www.treehousesecrets.com to see the path I am trying to forge.

    I look forward to looking through your content and connecting with my name sake. Keep smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a great name you have :) So glad that your online networks have now connected you here. Your work to infuse play into life is so important and your playdates sound like a blast. As we "raise the village" together...we need to play and learn and play some more!

    ReplyDelete